Designer look-a-like – Mulberry Alexa

When I was shopping in Oasis yesterday, I had to double take when I spotted this gorgeous inky blue sachel, which is a dead ringer for the Mulberry Alexa. I know high-street copies are very popular, who can forget the hordes of padlocked Chloe Paddingtons look-a-likes which flooded the high-street years ago?! But I don’t think I could ever buy one. To me, they’re almost as bad as designer rip-offs that you find on holiday. They might look like the real thing, but the bottom line is it’s not. It’s a cheap imitation. If I had a Mulberry Alexa, I would treasure it and probably stroke it a lot. If I had a copy, I would probably look at it and think ‘you’re cute, pretty close to the real thing but..you’re not’. This isn’t to say that buying a look-a-like bag is wrong, the industry expects the high-street to copy clothes and accessories, it’s just a personal choice. Would you buy a look-a-like bag?

Mulberry Alexa

Oasis Sasha Satchel

1. Winnie
    July 7, 2010 / 5:30 pm

Ah the Oasis one is quite lovely…but you're right, even though I can't imagine being able to afford the Alexa, if the copy is THAT similar, I wouldn't buy it either!

2. Kb
    July 8, 2010 / 2:10 am

I've bought fakes in the past but have totally gone off them, and would rather invest in the real thing than buying high street copies. Of course I don't have this kinda budget, so I tend to go for vintage purely as they're not really based on anything yet still look lovely. I think the high street should stick to unique, quality designs that would actually make me want to buy them.Kb from I Want You To Know

3. Kristin
    July 8, 2010 / 3:06 am

I adore Mulberry, but the alternative is such a beautiful color!

4. Carol
    July 8, 2010 / 10:49 am

Hey! I did actually buy the Oasis satchel but only because I could never part with that much money for a bag despite loving the look of it…http://mystylisms.tumblr.com/Caz x

5. Anonymous
    July 9, 2010 / 1:01 pm

I would buy this satchel as a) affording an Alexa is probably quite a way off for me and b) this one is such a delicious colour! But I have recently bought a Topshop satchel that I adore and stroke continuously… I don't think that I NEED to spend a lot of money to love something.wolfwhistle.org

6. Miss N
    July 18, 2010 / 8:28 pm

I would buy the oasis one on the basis it is a nice satchel in its own right. I doubt i would have the problem of anyone thinking I was trying to pretend it was a mulberry, I doubt anyone round here even knows what a mulberry is! Nikki x