Shop the Sales for Spring ’09

Whilst my family finish off Christmas lunch and head towards the living room to catch some Wallace & Gromit and a quick kip, my mind’s on other things. Namely the fabulous Boxing Day Sales. I know a lot of sales have already started (Dorothy Perkins, Miss Selfridge, Gap, H&M, All Saints, Faith and Warehouse to name but a few), my sales shopping can’t really start until Boxing Day. It’s like a tradition, whilst most people are having a lie in and thankful that Christmas is over, I’m up bright and early to grab the cut priced bargains.

But you’re never really snagging a bargain if you wouldn’t have normally bought it anyway or it doesn’t fit right. I’m not encouraging you to go down the boring route though! Magazines are always telling us to buy basics rather than ‘trend items’ as they are classic items. But I suggest looking forward to the key trends for Spring ’09 and snapping them up now! So, behold, Fashion Daydreams Guide for Shopping the Sales for Spring ’09!

Colours and Prints Leave behind the African tribal prints of Spring 08 in favour of the new season prints. Florals of course will still be about, but it’s now all about super oversize prints and pretty watercolour florals. Fall’s tartan will be replaced by checks and stripes in the coming months. Colour-wise, prepare to see the back of black. Strong brights will be one of the key trends, think lime greens and sky blues. Neutrals will also be big, to balance out the bold colours – dove grey, cream, white. Softer colours will be making an appearance, so be ready for cornflower blue and soft lilacs.

The new silhouette

Think long & lean and sleek & sophisticated. Slim silhouettes will prevail, skinny crops and cigarette pants. Controlled volume is also a hot choice for Spring, in the light airy fabrics which will explode next spring. Fabric-wise, think Jil Sander Spring ’08.

Shiny, shiny magpie fabrics

Sequins and shiny, wet-look fabrics are still going to be in…so snap up those cut price leggings! High-tech plastic-y fabrics and metallic fabrics are also a safe bet.

Jumpsuits These have been around for a while, though I have been hard pressed to find a jumpsuit that I’ve liked enough to purchase. The good thing about something that’s already been around is that there will be a lot more wearable styles the second time around, from cute casual rompers to hot little after hours jumpsuits. Just chuck on a belt and some statement jewellery and you’ll be good to go!

Harem Pants Those two words tend to send a make even a hardy fashionista contemplate a safer alternative, but rest assured they will be everywhere come Spring. During my visit to Barcelona, all the chic Spanish women were sporting theirs with flat gladiator sandals and vest tops in muted colours. That’s a cute option for a relaxed summer look, but I think they would work just as well for work (killer heels, smart top and a fitted sleeveless jacket) or even on a night out (again killer heels with a cropped top). The key to pulling them off is to keep everything else simple and let the trousers speak for themselves.

Blazers Good news for you blazer lovers, they will still be perfectly acceptable. For those who are a little bored of the same old blazer trend which has been going strong for a few years now, invest in a sleeveless little number to keep it fresh. Just layer it with a jumper or elbow length gloves til it warms up!

Of course this is just my interpretation of the Spring 09 trends. There’s an awesome post on TFS which you must read for an in depth and varied breakdown. There’s no need to be a total slave to fashion of course, it’s always a good time to plug the gaps in your wardrobe. I’ll be shopping for tops in all colours and sizes (been a dress-fiend for too long), flat biker boots and also a leather jacket.

1. dapper kid
    December 25, 2008 / 11:21 pm

Haha I was browsing the web all today noting prices in my head, so I know how much money they knock off tomorrow! Hope you had a wonderful christmas dear 🙂

2. Anonymous
    December 26, 2008 / 1:14 am

trust me, those African prints will never be less than trendy! they are too classic and basic and in style at thesame time! i love love love this post! *wink wink*merry christmas! ho ho ho..lol

3. Maya
    December 26, 2008 / 7:01 am

Love those bubble pants

4. Sharon Rose
    December 26, 2008 / 8:25 am

Hi there-Hope you had a lovely Christmas!! A lovely post, very inspirational, I’m loving these key items, particularly the jumpsuit and bright florals!

5. yiqin;
    December 26, 2008 / 4:40 pm

OMG I have always wanted to get those pants from ASOS but keep hesitating! hahaha I think they will look good wit cute giadiators too! Ahhh merry christmas dear!

6. DaisyChain
    December 26, 2008 / 8:33 pm

I spent much of yesterday trying to plan things I wanted from the sales(came up with nothing!)x

7. Krystal
    December 26, 2008 / 9:13 pm

NICE!!! xx

8. Couture Carrie
    December 26, 2008 / 9:51 pm

Sweet tips! I am so excited about those harem pants!Hope you had a fabulous Christmas, too, darling FD!xoxox,CC

9. girl next blog
    December 26, 2008 / 10:13 pm

Great post!I love all these trends.xx

10. ♥ fashion chalet
    December 26, 2008 / 10:24 pm

Thanks, Fashion Dreamer! 🙂 I hope you get the camera that you wished for and tripod too. I need to learn how to use mine. I’m excited about it though. I love your photos. xx

11. Savvy Mode SG
    December 26, 2008 / 10:40 pm

i tried to shop today but it was crowded i just came home. i need to shop in peace.

12. Thu
    December 27, 2008 / 5:48 am

i prefer short jumpsuits over long ones. you can always wear tights underneath if it gets a bit cold. i just bought another one in the same style, but a different color.

13. Nemerae
    December 27, 2008 / 9:33 am

Hi!I love shopping in sales the trends for the next season too (spring/summer in this case) =) I’ll also do and special with the trends, yours is great ^^I need a jumpsuit, a blazer (or maybe I’ll do it by myself) and a pair of harem pants (I haven’t found the one I want xD maybe on sales..).Byeexx

14. Fashion Moment
    December 27, 2008 / 12:10 pm

Oh, I love this excelent little jacket! Great post. I hope you decide about NYE… My Christmas is 7th January, but thank you very much, anyway!Wish you amazing holiday! :)FM

15. atelier
    December 27, 2008 / 2:57 pm

shiny pants are so cool at the moment. ARe you from Southampton? I’ve been studying there two years ago with an ERasmus ex-change programme!

16. Fashion Carnival
    December 27, 2008 / 8:47 pm

i so love it all.. specially the jumpsuits

17. Cate
    December 28, 2008 / 12:15 pm

I think here the shops don’t have open on Boxing Day. Anyway, I got so many presents on Christmas Eve that I don’t feel the urge to go shopping AGAIN on Boxing Day.I like to buy trendy things rather than classics too sometimes! Of course, there are a few classics you should have in your closet.I love shiny fabrics. Yay.I don’t care much for jumpsuits though.The way the Spanish women wore harem pants sounds really stylish!

18. allaboutattitude
    December 28, 2008 / 2:05 pm

lovely pieces lovely pictures

19. atelier
    December 28, 2008 / 6:18 pm

I’m in Spain at the moment! I was in Southampton last year in Erasmus -ex-change student-, to study a bit of fashion journalism, but I’ll try to go to London next year to do a MA. I started to like Southampton at the end too!! I prefer London too!

20. Sean Garrette Lundy
    December 29, 2008 / 5:36 am

hey i love your blog! and you have such great style!can you check out my blog and comment some of my post? if you like it can you follow it? i know you’ll love itthanks! =]-SeanGarrette